Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Center of my Heart


I've searched for a heat cut-out dress for a long while, but never seemed to find one that fit what I was looking for. I wanted something flirty, cute, and affordable. That's when I decided to make my own. 
Being that I wanted to make it without any pattern, I started with a sketch.


At first I couldn't decide whether or not to have the heart in the back or the front. Then, I had the epiphany of a lifetime... I could do BOTH!



This is only the third project that I have done on the sewing machine. The hardest part was putting in the zipper and connecting the skirt. The dress was intended to be a bit more fuller at the bottom, and just a tad bit longer, but hey with experience I now have I know what to do next time around!



Accessories don't always have to match exactly. Both the shoes and tights here do not match perfectly to the accent colors on the dress.


All in all it was a really fun project! It was exciting to experiment with a medium I am not as familiar with. I would say that in general it was a success! 

Dress: Hand-made
Tights: Forever 21
Shoes: Target
Earrings: Fuego 

2 comments:

  1. OMG you did such an AWESOME job!!! The back of the dress particularly looks super professional. I am jealous of your sewing skills at only project no. #3! Zippers are definitely the hardest part - I still can't do them properly AT ALL haha. I love the design and fabric of this though, I really want to make a dress with a front heart cutout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! The front was probably the easiest part. I used this video as kind of a reference point for making the hearts, though I didn't use lining like she had insisted (only because I didn't have any on hand and was too enthralled with my project to go get some hehe) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqOFA_Jt1tM. I also used some techniques for giving the bust portion of the dress more form from this tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOMrJp4ZdG4.
    You should totally make one sometime, I'd love to see what you'd do with it!

    ReplyDelete